Chemical Bonding

Random thoughts after reading the article: 

  • In physiology I remember learning about compounds and different types of chemical bonds (ie ionic bonds, covalent bonds, molecules vs compounds, etc)
  • The article "Chemical Bonding: The Nature of the Chemical Bond" is an easy read. It starts with the historical timeline of chemical bonds. 
  • Covalent bonds are when the valence electrons are shared in order to achieve energetic stability.
  • Ionic bonds are when the valence electrons transfer - either an atom loses or gains electrons. This causes some ions to have a positive charge and some to have a negative charge.  
  • The Lewis dot diagrams is something I have not looked at since I was in high school!  
  • I would have love more examples since it is something I vaguely remember but don't know it enough. 
  • Some bonds that I did not know about:
    • Metallic bonding - "the attractions that hold the metal atoms together in metallic elements
    • Intermolecular forces - "interactions that exist between, rather than within, covalently bonded molecules"
  • It is interesting that scientists are still doing research in finding more types of bonds. There is so much we don't know and I wonder what things will be looked a/taught differently once new information is discovered. 


Comments

  1. Hi Devon!
    I missed seeing this article, but it would have been a great read since it does reexplain compounds and their bonds like we learned in physiology. I will read the article now.
    The idea of intermolecular forces is interesting. There are so many layers to understanding molecules and the many ways they can bond. It's no wonder scientists like to try to create fake meat or synthetic photosynthesis. The act of manipulating nature in order to create something completely different can be exhilarating. Even so, I do not agree with them actually feeding people with this kind of experimentation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi Devon - It was helpful to read your synopsis after I did my own. I'm still trying to digest most of the article. I also thought it was interesting to hear that more bonds are being discovered. Specifically, I'm really interested in the vibrational bonds because they seem to be weak bonds that last milliseconds between atoms that differ greatly in size but slow down reactions. Or at least that's my best understanding.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment